Broomfield Swim and Tennis Club (BSTC) offers its members 6 lighted outdoor courts and a wide variety of tennis programs and activities for tennis players of all ages and abilities including: leagues, clinics, group and private lessons, and club tennis socials. Supporting one of the largest adult and junior league programs in the state, our club organized teams participate in USTA, CTA, and Junior Team Tennis Leagues. Every member of BSTC has the opportunity to participate in a league program, and everyone is encouraged to play at their appropriate NTRP level. If you’ve never played in an organized tennis league, there’s no need to be shy. Leagues range from social to highly competitive depending on skill level and team makeup, but the number one goal for everyone is to have fun and enjoy playing tennis with other tennis enthusiasts.
Througout the summer, BSTC tennis clinics are run regularly by qualified Tennis instructors who put participants through a wide range of drills designed to improve their tennis game in a casual and social atmosphere, all while getting a great workout. There’s almost certainly a clinic or two a week that will fit into your schedule and all members are encouraged to drop in and check out the action.
BSTC tennis instructors offer affordable tennis lessons to both member and non-member individuals and groups. Check out our Tennis Staff page for more information.
BSTC ONLINE COURT RESERVATIONS
- Members may reserve courts by logging on through the Login button and using the link to reserve courts. Please visit our Registration page for questions on logging in.
- Courts 1 – 6 will be available for members in good standing to reserve for 30 minute increments for max of 90 minutes at a time (30, 60 or 90 minutes). Our League Coordinator can book for more time – usually 120 minutes for practices and matches. Courts for leagues and team practices will be blocked out.
- Reservations can be made up to 7 days in advance. Members are limited to two reservations each 7 days. Reservations can be made starting at 7 a.m. Each family member registered on the system may make reservations. The person booking the reservation should be the person who plays.
- Members should cancel their reservation up to and including the day before the court is reserved.
- Walk up play time is limited to 90 minutes.
- Scheduled league matches take priority and may be played to conclusion. If you have a court reserved and a league match is finishing, please be patient.
- Tennis staff can reserve groups of courts for practices, leagues, group clinics, juniors, etc, but they must reserve them prior to the courts being open for members to reserve (i.e. they must reserve more than 7 days in advance if they need more than one court at a time). They can also book available courts, same as members, for lessons, but cannot override a member’s existing reservation.
SUMMER SESSIONS BEGIN MAY 29TH and run through JULY 31ST. (A few classes begin the week of June 4th due to league conflicts.) All sessions are Co-Ed unless otherwise noted. You must sign up class by class. Please reference our Registration page for information on logging in prior to signing up for any classes.
We offer a variety of sessions including Drills, Instructional Clinics, Cardio Tennis, and Adult Challenge Court Play.
DRILLS: Drills sessions are fast-paced, high energy sessions which utilized a combination of ball-fed, structured rally, and live-ball drills. The emphasis is on repetition and movement. Expect a lot of fun, a good workout and feeling good about your tennis by the end of each session. Limit 8 per class.
Cost: $17 member/$22 nonmember per class.
- 3.5+ Drills Mondays 9-10:30am SIGN UP
- 3.0+ Drills Mondays 10:30-Noon SIGN UP
- 4.0+ Drills Mondays Noon-1:30pm SIGN UP
- 3.5+Drills Mondays 7:30-9:00pm SIGN UP
- 2.5/3.0 Drills Tuesdays 9-10:30am SIGN UP
- 4.0+ Drills Tuesdays 10:30am-Noon SIGN UP
- 3.5+ Drills Tuesdays Noon-1:30pm SIGN UP
- 3.0+ Drills Tuesdays 7:30-9:00pm SIGN UP
- 4.0+ Drills Wednesdays 9-10:30am SIGN UP
- 3.5+ Drills Wednesdays 10:30am-Noon SIGN UP
- 3.0+ Drills Wednesdays Noon-1:30pm SIGN UP
- 4.0+ Drills Wednesdays 7:30-9:00pm SIGN UP
- 3.5/4.0 Drills Thursdays Noon-1:30pm SIGN UP
- 2.5/3.0 Drills Thursdays 7:30-9:00pm SIGN UP
- 3.5+ Drills Fridays 9-10:30am SIGN UP
- 3.0+ Drills Fridays 10:30-Noon SIGN UP
- 4.0+ Drills Fridays Noon-1:30pm SIGN UP
- 2.5/3.0 Drills Saturdays 8-9:30am SIGN UP
- 3.5+ Drills Saturdays 9:30-11am SIGN UP
- 4.0+ Drills Saturdays 11:00am-12:30pm SIGN UP
INSTRUCTIONAL CLINICS: These clinics include 1) Quality fundamental stroke mechanics upon which you can develop unlimited racquet skills in the future; 2) Fundamentally sound singles and doubles strategies for all game-styles. This allows you to establish a style that works best for you and to read your opponent more effectively; 3) Proper movement to efficiently and effectively cover your court. Limit 6 per class.
Cost: $15 member/$20 nonmember per class
Tennis 101: This is a combination of instructional clinics and and drills classes for 2.5 beginners.
- 2.5+ Tennis 101 Mondays 8:00-9.00am SIGN UP
- 2.5+ Tennis 101 Wednesdays 9:30-10:30am SIGN UP
- 2.5+ Tennis 101 Fridays 10:00-11:00am SIGN UP
Tennis 201: This is a combination of instructional clinics and and drills classes for 2.5/3.0 beginners.
- 2.5/3.0 Tennis 201 Coming Soon
Tennis 301 – Match Play: This is a Match Play session for 3.0 (+/-) players.
- 2.5/3.0 Tennis 301 Coming Soon
CARDIO TENNIS: Non-stop movement. Get your tennis specific muscles more fit to allow you to play your best tennis longer. This is an efficient way to improve your results with your current level of racquet skills and strategies. Limit 10 per class.
Cost: $12 member/$15 nonmember per class
- Cardio Tennis Tuesdays 9:30-10:30am SIGN UP
ADULT CHALLENGE COURT PLAY – DOUBLES & DRINKS! A great opportunity to just show up and play! This is doubles match play sorted by level. You must register in advance. Limit 16 players.
Cost: $10 member/$15 nonmember per class
- Doubles & Drinks Fridays 6:30-8:30pm SIGN UP
We offer a variety of tennis programs for the junior tennis player. To determine the best fit for your family, see the details below. All sessions are co-ed unless otherwise noted. Please reference our Registration page for information on logging in to our system prior to signing up for any program. For information on our Junior Tennis Program Philosophies, click HERE.
SUMMER SESSIONS (MAY 29th – AUGUST 11TH) Click HERE for class days/times and to sign up. Summer classes will have two 4 week sessions and one 3 week session. Drop-ins will be permitted at a higher per-class rate, subject to space availability.
We offer a variety of sessions for all ages. Our 12 & Under programs are an exciting and fun tennis format for 12 and under kids which started in Europe, came to America as QuickStart, and has been adopted by the USTA as Under 12 Tennis. There are now leagues and tournaments for U8, U10 and U12 kids. The emphasis is on fun! Court size, racquet size, ball, even the net height has been shrunk to make the game kid friendly. Now even younger children can start playing tennis more quickly. The programs include PeeWee (age 3-4), Red Ball (age 5-8), Orange Ball (age 9-10), and Green Ball (age 11-12). Our 13-18 Developmental programs include Futures (age 12-14) and Challengers (age 14-18).
PEEWEE TENNIS: For children ages 3-4 years old. Fun and games designed to development eye hand coordination, balance and movement, and a love of the game! Limit 6 per class.
RED BALL INSTRUCTIONAL: For children 5-6 & 7-8 years old. A 36’ court, 75% slower and lower bouncing RED ball, and 19 – 21” racquets are used which makes the game more child friendly. We introduce basic strokes, rules and the etiquette of tennis. We work on improving eye hand coordination and movement to get the kids playing games right away! Limit 6 per class.
ORANGE BALL INSTRUCTIONAL: For 9-10 year olds. A 60’ court, 50% slower and low bouncing ORANGE ball, and 21 – 23” racquets are now used. All 10 & under players must test out of Orange to advance to Green. Limit 6 per class.
GREEN BALL INSTRUCTIONAL: For 11-12 year old players, 60’ court, 25% slower & slightly lower bouncing GREEN ball, and 23 – 25” racquets. Players are new to tennis or have aged up/tested out of Orange to advance to Green. Limit 6 per class.
FUTURES DEVELOPMENTAL: For 12-14 year olds. This is our starting point for juniors age 12-18 looking to learn tennis fundamentals, a love of the game, and develop competitive skills. We develop basic knowledge of the game and the fundamental strokes. Limit 6 per class.
CHALLENGERS DEVELOPMENTAL: For 14-18 year olds. After achieving success in Futures, this program focuses on develop competitive skills preparing players for competition whether it is HS, USTA tournaments or Junior Team Tennis. Limit 6 per class.
For current rates and more information on private lessons and hitting sessions with any of our tennis staff, please click here: Private Lessons Info
To schedule, contact the pro directly.
Tom Russ 720-412-4822
Spencer Wolff 720-347-1220
This team-oriented program is for the competitive players of all ages. Highlights include:
- Real matches, fun, and camaraderie with teammates and opponents from area clubs
- Develop competitive skills from drilling and game based practices
- Teams for all levels of competitive experience
- Teams will be formed by Director of Tennis and Pro Staff
- Must be able to serve and keep score
- Practices start Tuesday June 5th
- Matches: Mondays June 11th through July 23rd
- Championships: August 3rd – 5th for teams that qualify
Registration: Registration for JTT for 2018 is now open! Please visit the Registration page for details on how to create your access to our system prior to registering for any lessons.
Cost: Member $180/Non-member $270
Monday Match Times:
- 8:00am = 10 & Under (Girls & Boys)
- 9:30am = 12 & Under (Girls & Boys)
- 11:00am = 14 & Under (Girls & Boys)
- 12:30pm = 18 & Under (Girls & Boys)
- Tuesdays & Thursdays
- Start June 5th; no practices will be held the week of July 2nd – July 6th
- Boys/Girls 10 & Under and Boys/Girls 12 & Under — 2:00 – 3:15pm
- Boys/Girls 14 & Under — 3:15 – 4:30pm
- Boys/Girls 18 & Under — 4:30 – 5:45pm
We will hold JTT level assessments individually. Please contact Tom Russ at email@example.com to schedule.
BSTC is has the seventh largest league participation in the state of Colorado! We offer a variety of USTA Women’s, Men’s and Mixed Doubles leagues. To the high demand for our league teams, only members are eligible to participate on BSTC adult leagues. Exceptions are granted by our Tennis Director in rare cases where we need to recruit non-members in order to have enough players at a given level to field a complete team (mainly at the 4.5 level), although in no cases are members allowed to play as nonmembers in the first year after dropping an active membership.
Please visit the Registration page for details on how to create your access to our system prior to registering.
Important Information About Adult Leagues
- The deadline to register for the first round of USTA leagues is February 19, 2018.
- Only BSTC members are allowed to participate.
- Members are expected to play at level. Requests to play up a level must come through the team captain and be approved by the Tennis Director.
- Information on the days and times each league plays, match formats, etc. can be found at the links below. Please review this information before registering.
- Please read the 2018 Adult Tennis League Policies document, located here before registering.
- League fees are $50 per individual for unlimited league participation. You will be charged $50 when you register. If you only play one league during the summer, the fee will be reduced to $25 and you may request a refund through the league coordinator, Cini Burchell.
- If you have a formed team, please email your list to Cindi Burchell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to contact her with any questions you may have.
- We will be offering the following leagues in 2018:
USTA Mixed 18 and OverUSTA Adult 18 and OverUSTA Adult 55 Years and OverCTA Women’s Daytime DoublesUSTA Mixed 40 Years and OverCTA Adult 18-39 YearsUSTA Adult 40 Years and OverCTA Women’s 2.5 18 and OverITA Mixed DoublesCTA Women’s Summer DaytimeCTA Twilight
For the detailed CTA Schedule of Match Days and Times: Click here
For the CTA Calendar and Deadlines: Click Here
BSTC ADULT TENNIS LEAGUE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES- 2018
A Team for Everyone. Best efforts will be made to ensure that every member who submits a registration form by the deadline will get to play on a BSTC team. On occasion, this may not be possible (e.g. if 20 women but only 4 men sign up for a mixed doubles team.)
League play at home courts. There are 6 locations used for BSTC home league matches: BSTC, Broomfield High School, Broomfield City Courts, Northmoor, Wildgrass and Depot Hill. League administration will make best effort to provide each team with an equal number of home league matches at BSTC courts.
NTRP level practice times. Specific NTRP levels have scheduled practice times and are listed on the BSTC website under tennis calendar. Any BSTC member may practice at the designated time for their NTRP level.
Equal playing time during regular league play. Captains shall give each player a relatively equal number of playing opportunities during league play based on availability of all players. Players with limited availability may receive limited play.
Play may not be equal among players during playoffs. Playoff rosters will be determined by captains who may decide to schedule the players with the best records and offer the best chance for team wins. Captains are encouraged to consult with the Tennis Director for playoff scheduling.
Player preferences in scheduling. Weekly league play will be determined by captains, who shall take into account player availability, partner preferences, side preferences and singles v. doubles preferences.
Your input is valuable and welcome. In the fall BSTC members will be sent a survey about their tennis league experience and captain performance to provide input to the BSTC Board, Tennis Director and Adult League Coordinator for future selection of captains and league management. Anytime throughout the year you may also email questions and concerns to BSTC.email@example.com.
Ultimate authority over team formation. The Tennis Director will have oversight of and is responsible for team formation, with the assistance of the BSTC Tennis Committee and the Adult League Coordinator. Any questions regarding team formation should be directed to Tennis Director or emailed to BSTC.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Playing at NTRP level. Absent extraordinary circumstances and approval of the Tennis Director, all players shall play at their assigned USTA rating level.
League Registration. In January after the CTA calendar is published, league registration forms will be available on the BSTC website. Deadline to turn in BSTC registration forms is generally the second week of February. A cut-off date of 3/15 may be enforced for adding new players to a team, with exceptions made only by the Tennis Director.
Individuals forming their own league teams. All players are encouraged to form their own league teams. Players who want to play on the same team should have one person from their group submit a list of players up to the maximum for that league to the BSTC tennis email (BSTC.email@example.com) by the submission deadline. All players must agree to be on the team and still must submit their individual BSTC registration form. Maximum number of selected teammates for each league vary and are: USTA Adult, 2.5 only: 7 players; All other USTA Adult: 10 players; Mixed Leagues: 8 people; Daytime Doubles: 8 players; Summer Daytime: 7 players and Twilight: 7 players.
Team Formation Process: In January, the Club will distribute to the Club membership a list of all players by level and the projected number of captains needed at each level, along with the Tennis Registration form. The Tennis Director and Adult League Coordinator will select captains, who will meet to start forming teams and will use Tennis Registration forms to develop rosters. Captains will be invited to a mandatory training meeting and to have the opportunity to further meet with other captains at their level. Captains will not make any commitments to players until the second captains’ meeting is concluded and the Tennis Director and/or Adult League Coordinator have finalized teams.
Players may be added to already formed teams. To create a numerical balance for each team, it may be necessary to add players to already formed teams. These determinations will be made in consultation with the affected captains. All players who want to play league will be placed on a BSTC team with a possible exception noted above.
Nonmember players. Nonmembers will be invited to play on BSTC teams only when needed to fill out a team and when approved by the Tennis Committee and the Tennis Director or Adult League Coordinator. Nonmembers must pay a nonmember fee of $50 per league and may only use BSTC facilities for league play and scheduled team practices.
BSTC may not offer teams for all USTA and CTA leagues. Due to limited court availability the BSTC will offer leagues that allow the maximum number of members an opportunity to play. Member interest may also affect league offerings.
In order to offset the costs of adult league administration and additional court rentals, a league fee of $25 per individual for one league, or $50 per individual for unlimited league participation, must be included with your league registration form.
Tennis Director and Head Pro
Tom has played and coached players of all ages and ability levels for over 25 years and across the world. His approach towards tennis is anchored on a solid foundation of basic skills & techniques, individualized game-styles, and a focus on competitive development as an athlete.Tom’s coaching and consulting background include:
- Senior Tennis Director of both the Life Time’s – Colorado Springs and Flatirons Clubs
- Owner/Director of Summit Tennis with locations in Arvada and Broomfield
- University of Colorado Head Coach – 12 years
- Owner/Director of CU Tennis Camps & Clinics – 8 years
- Coached 31 Big 8 and Big XII All-Conference Players
- Big XII Conference Coach of the Year
- NCAA Central Region Coach of the Year
- Worked with over 400 top professional tennis players, including more than 35 current or former Grand Slam Champions on behalf of Babolat, Prince and PACIFIC tennis brands
As a player, Tom was a nationally ranked collegiate player. He played professional club tennis in Germany and Switzerland for 2 years. His best wins include beating David McPherson (ATP top 10 doubles player at the time) in singles and doubles in a German league match.
Away from the courts, Tom enjoys skiing, biking and spending time with his family. Tom can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-412-4822.
Assistant Tennis Pro
Spencer has been a member at the Broomfield Swim Tennis Club for 9 years. He graduated from Broomfield High School in 2017- Go Eagles! During his time there, he played four years of varsity singles and qualified for the Colorado State Tennis tournament at 3rd, 2nd, and 1st singles. He has competed in many USTA tournaments at the state and Intermountain levels, playing alongside some of the best prep players in the state. He also played varsity Basketball for Broomfield. The Broomfield Swim and Tennis youth tennis program was the first influence on his tennis career. He is looking forward to sharing his experiences with the next generation of Broomfield tennis. Spencer will be a sophomore at Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana this fall. He enjoys coaching, sports trivia, and works closely with the Special Olympics organization.
PLAYERS / CLASS LEVELS
2.0 – 2.5 Beginner: This player has played very little or no tennis. We will cover all the fundamental strokes, scoring, court positioning for singles and doubles with ball-fed drills. Upon completion, each player will be able to maintain a slow rally by the end of this class.
2.5 – 3.0 Advanced Beginner: This player has playing experience and some knowledge of strategies and positioning for singles and doubles. Topspin groundstrokes, volleys, overheads and serves will be covered with a combination of ball-fed drills and structured rally drills.
3.0 – 3.5 Intermediate: This player can maintain a rally from the baseline with basic sound stoke technique. We will introduce more advanced mechanics and strategies for each stroke to create more ball control, consistency and power. Ball-fed, structured rally, and live ball drills will be utilized.
3.5 – 4.0 Advanced Intermediate: This player can consistently maintain a rally with pace and has a more advanced knowledge of the game. Our focus will be on strengthening the player’s basic stroke mechanics and shot patterns as well as your approach and passing shots, drop shots, return of serve.
4.0 – 4.5 Advanced: This player has an overall understanding of the game and can hit fair amount of power, control and/or consistency. The drill class will give participants the opportunity to get a great tennis workout and lots shots. We utilize will be live ball, and strategy-based games with friendly competition. These are high energy, fast-paced clinics.